It’s high summer in the hills, and berry season is in full swing. Unfortunately for blueberry lovers, a late frost wiped out blueberry crops at many Catskills farms, including Bohringer’s Fruit Farm in Middleburgh and Kelder’s Farm in Kerhonkson. But there are still some to be found, along with raspberries, gooseberries and currants.
Here are a few places around the region offering pick your own berries. Know others? Drop us a line and we’ll add them. As always with weather-dependent activities, it’s never a bad idea to call ahead to check hours and availability before popping a cooler in your car and heading out. A couple of other tips for newbies: many PYO farms don’t have amenities like rest rooms or refreshment stands, so bring bottled water and plan pit stops elsewhere; leave the dog at home; your farmer will thank you for paying cash in small bills.
- Bleuet Hill Farm (open now): Blueberries only. 85 Homer Smith Road, Deposit, 201-819-9722, 607-467-1955, Delaware County. Seventeen acres of wild blueberries available for picking. Also for sale by the pound already picked. Tuesday through Sunday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Blue Sky Farm & Winery (opens July 22): Blueberries only. 779 Charcoal Road, Stamford, 607-652-4712, Delaware County. Friday through Monday 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Bohringer’s Fruit Farm (open now): Raspberries only. No blueberries. 3992 Route 30, Middleburgh, 518-827-5783. If you’re feeling lazy, Bohringer’s also sells berries by the pint in its farm store, including blueberries from New Jersey. The u-pick fields are open daily from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. and the farm store from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Jenkins and Lueken Orchards (open now): Blueberries ready now. Raspberries in late July. Blackberries in late July or early August. 65 Yankee Folly Road, New Paltz, 845-255-0999. Open daily 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.
- Kelder’s Farm (open now): Black raspberries, red raspberries and red currants. No blueberries. 5755 Route 209, Kerhonkson, 845-626-7137, Ulster County. Kelder’s also offers kids’ activities like mini-golf and a petting zoo. Open daily 10 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Saunderskill Farms (open now): Raspberries. 5100 Route 209, Accord, 845-626-2676, Ulster County. Tuesday through Sunday 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saunderskill Farms also offers special events and activities during the growing season; check the website for details.