It’s high summer in the mountains, which means that local food and drinks are easy to find in a wide variety of fun settings.
Here are a few of our picks for the next seven days. Got a tip about upcoming events? Send us an email.
- Hudson Valley Food Truck Festival: Thursday, July 16, 3:30 to 9:30 p.m. at the Kiwanis Ice Rink, Saugerties. Nosh on goodies from Catskill-area faves like Pippy’s Hot Dog Truck, Black Forest Flammkuchen, Black Eyed Suzies and more while Kyle Esposito & the Backburners play. The monthly rodeo happens every third Thursday through October.
- Tunes & Tastes at Simply Durham Cottages: Friday, July 17, 5 to 7 p.m., 2146 Route 145, East Durham. Heather Ridge Farm brings its Catskills-grown fare, including pasture-raised meats and local cheeses, to an old-fashioned barbecue accompanied by Irish music. Slow-smoked pulled pork, grilled chicken, lots of veggie sides and desserts. $28/person, kids under 15 pay their age. RSVP requested: 518-239-6234.
- Clambake and Music on the Mountain: Saturday, July 18, 4 to 7 p.m. at Plattekill Mountain, Roxbury. Clams, mussels, fresh local corn, potatoes and smoked sausage are on the menu, along with draft beer from Kingston’s Keegan Ales, scenic chairlift rides and old-time fiddle and banjo music by Crane & McCoy & Friends. This is the first in a series of three food/music events at Plattekill; the next two are Aug. 15 (bluegrass and a pig roast); and Sept. 5 (rock and roll and barbecue).
- Pizza Night on the Farm: Saturday, July 18, 5 to 8 p.m. at Lazy Crazy Acres, 57 Rider Hollow Road, Arkville. Take a hayride and enjoy earth-oven baked pizzas under the stars in a family-friendly environment on this Delaware County farm (most summer Saturdays, weather permitting). This week’s menu includes “The Dirty South” (cream sauce, corn, caramelized onions, bacon, mozzarella) and “The Americana” (barbecue chicken, mozzarella, homemade buttermilk herb dressing). Also, there will be pie. And brownies. Adults $19, kids 10 and under, $10, kids 4 and under eat free.
- Spillian on a Plate: Wednesday, July 22, 6 p.m. at Spillian inn and retreat center, 50 Todd Mountain Road, Fleischmanns. Chef Chris McGee, late of The Back Room restaurant in Andes, has teamed up with the proprietors of Spillian and Bovina farmer Steve Burnett for a Wednesday night dinner series showcasing local food. $40/person plus cash bar for four courses; vegetarian options available. Call for reservations: 800-811-3351. Also July 29, Aug. 5, 12 and 19.